The Latesail team are all experienced sailors who can help you find the perfect charter. Get in touch and we are happy to provide a personal service. Call us on: 01227 479 900
Did you know that Antigua has so many sandy beaches that the locals say there are enough to visit a different one each day of the year? With so much choice, it’s hard to know how to plan a bareboat charter itinerary that takes in the very best of this special Caribbean destination. Read on to find out about some of our favourite places.
Antigua bareboat itinerary
Day 1: Jolly Harbour to Deep Bay, Five Islands Harbour
Day 2: Five Islands Harbour to North Sound
Day 3: North Sound to Dickenson Bay
Day 4: Dickenson Bay to English Harbour
Day 5: English Harbour to Nonsuch Bay
Day 6: Nonsuch Bay to Carlisle Bay
Day 7: Carlisle Bay to Jolly Harbour Marina
Day 8: Jolly Harbour Marina
Sailing in Antigua is totally different to the BVIs, as you need to navigate and look at charts to avoid reefs and hazards. It’s got the benefit of the Caribbean trade winds between 15-20 knots between November and May, as well as the swell and waves of the Atlantic. While this means you need to plan a little more, it offers fantastic sailing that will challenge even the most experienced sailors.
- Shirley Heights: There is something special and utterly captivating about Shirley Heights. Every visitor to Antigua will visit this spot and take the same photo, enthralled by the impressive view over the bays. If you visit on a Sunday, you can enjoy a tasty BBQ and sway to the steel band. It’s a memorable experience that feels like the real deal and not just a tourist trap. If you’ve been, we bet you’ve got a photo similar to this!
- Green Island: Feel the remoteness of being out in the open ocean by heading to the north of Green Island, close to the majestic barrier reef. You’ll find yourself out in the Atlantic Ocean, where there is nothing but cobalt sea in front of you for miles and miles and the next land mass is Africa! It’s an experience you can’t really get elsewhere in the region, so make it one of your stop offs.
- Deep Bay, Five Islands: Snorkel the wreck of Andes, swim at Galley Bay or hike up to Fort Barrington, which dates back to the 1700s
- North Sound: Head to Great Bird Island for wonderful snorkeling around reefs and some bird spotting
- Dickenson Bay: Swim on the beach where the luxury resorts are based, grab a bite to eat and try out the many water sports on offer
- English Harbour: Retrace Nelson’s steps, as this is where he kept his fleet. The dock has been restored to its former glory and is well worth the visit with plenty of places to drink and dine. Check out the Pillars of Hercules as you leave the harbour
- Nonsuch Bay: Enjoy secluded anchorages and give kite surfing a go
- Carlisle Bay: Stroll the smart resorts and enjoy fine dining
- Darkwood Beach: Known as one of Antigua’s most beautiful beaches
- St John’s: Visit the buzzing capital for shopping and dining
Direct flights from the UK
You can fly direct to V.C. Bird International Airport (ANU) with British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, making the start of your yacht charter that much more hassle-free.
Find out more
Sail away to the warm tropical temperatures of Antigua this winter and call our team today on 01227 479 900 or request a quote.